It is very beneficial for everyone to step away from the daily usual and take a vacation! But the big question is, where to take your vacation? It can be hard to decide where to go if you don’t know the area and what’s available to you. We have done the hard work for you and rounded up some great things to do in Calaveras County with either the whole family or a romantic getaway with your significant other.
Take the Family to Moaning Caverns
Moaning Caverns is home to the largest single cave chamber in California. Here you will find plenty of activities to keep the family busy. Outside you’ll find a zip line that will give you an amazing rush. With the option to ride solo or tandem the whole family can have fun. Rocking climbing and a gold rush maze are other fun options to fill up your time. Most of all, you need to check out the tour options!
The Spiral Tour leads you down 165 feet giving you views of the marble deposits of the Calaveras Formation taking you into smaller passageways to explore. Visitors can then walk the wooden staircase of the main chamber 65 feet underground. For those true thrill-seekers, you can then choose to descend down a ten-story spiral staircase to the base of the chamber.
The Expedition Tour is for those true to heart adventure seekers. Most of this tour is undeveloped and adventurers will wear a lighted helmet to show them the way. Explore the caverns by climbing and crawling your way through!
Wine Tour With Your Significant Other in Calaveras County
California has no shortage of wineries. From small local family-owned places to state of the art facilities, Calaveras County has a few must-see wineries that are open to the public.
- Ironstone Vineyards – Check out the tasting room and grab some grub at the Gold Leaf Deli. Wander the Heritage Museum (home of a 44-pound crystalline gold piece), jewelry shop, amphitheater, and gardens. Ironstone Vineyards in Calaveras County practice sustainable viticulture, conserves water use, builds healthy soil, and maintains surrounding wildlife habitat.
- Twisted Oak Winery – For a unique experience, visit this family-owned winery. With wines called The Spaniard, River of Skulls, and Pottymouth, you won’t be disappointed. Don’t forget to check out the gift shop and the Rubber Chicken National Forest!
- Irish Vineyards Winery – This winery has premier wines and public tours on Saturday. Wander the picnic area and enjoy a fire in the provided fire pits.
Adventures for Everyone at New Melones Lake Marina
If you are looking for the perfect spot to take a vacation in Calaveras County, look no further than New Melones Lake Marina. Whether you only have a few days or a whole week, there is plenty to keep you occupied here. The lake offers a full-service marina located on the fourth largest reservoir in California. Not to mention, New Melones Lake Marina is the only marina on the lake! Check out the many rentals available to make the most of your vacation such as :
- Boat Rentals – From a 14-foot fishing boat to a party cruiser, you can find the boat for you.
- Houseboat Rentals – Extend your stay and rent a houseboat. All come equipped with a bathroom, kitchen and plenty of sleeping space.
- Water Toy Rentals – Try your hand with a kneeboard, wakeboard, water skis, surfboard or even a jet ski!
- Slip Rentals – For those of you who own a boat, rent a slip at New Melones Lake Marina. The full-service slips are perfect for your boat and extended stay.
New Melones Lake Marina also carries everything you could possibly need at their two easy-access convenience stores including fishing gear and gas for all your toys. Come out and see for yourself and make those lifelong memories.