If you’ve been considering getting braces, you’re not alone. It is estimated that over 4 million people in the United States wear braces, and 25% of those individuals are adults. If you’d like to improve your bite and straighten your smile, then braces are the right choice for you. However, there are many factors to consider before getting braces, all of which should be taken in to account. Getting braces in Idaho Falls will demand time, commitment, money and may even require you to change your diet among other things.
This article discusses six things you should know before getting braces that will help you throughout the process.
To schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with an orthodontics office in Idaho Falls, contact Randall Orthodontics today.
6 Things You Should Know Before You Get Braces
You Can Get A Free Consultation
Many people are under the impression that once you choose an orthodontist in Idaho Falls or if one has been recommended to you by your family dentist, you have to stick with them; this is simply not true! Most orthodontics offices are happy to offer free consultations to new patients. This helps you, the potential patient, discover what type of braces are correct for you (if any) as well as, tour the office, get to know the staff and ask important questions such as, how much will braces cost, how long can you expect to have them on, what is the aftercare like, etc. A free consultation is basically like an “interview” for finding the right orthodontist, which leads us to our next point.
Choose The Right Orthodontist
Since you can expect to be seeing your orthodontist and his or her orthodontic team for at least the next two years, you’ll want to make sure you are choosing the right one. This can be done by scheduling free consultations at multiple Idaho Falls orthodontist locations before you pin down the orthodontist of your choice. The reason that this is an important factor to know before getting braces is that it can be time-consuming and expensive to change orthodontist once you have begun treatment if for some reason you are not satisfied.
Types of Braces
As technology has progressed so have the options for braces. Now, more than ever, there is a multitude of different types of braces in Idaho Falls to choose from. These include, but are not limited to:
- Traditional (Metal) Braces – Metal braces are one of the cheapest orthodontic options and are excellent in treating almost all dental issues. These braces consist of a metal bracket that is bonded to each tooth and held together by a metal wire. These components are what applies tension and pressure to the teeth in order to move them into the desired position.
- Ceramic Braces – Ceramic braces work in the same way as metal braces to move the teeth and jaw into alignment, however, they are more discreet than traditional braces. Ceramic braces have a similar price point to metal braces and often work faster than invisible trays.
- Invisible Aligners (Trays) – Invisible aligners are becoming more common for people with minor orthodontic needs. These “braces” are virtually invisible and are not permanently bonded to teeth.
- Self-Litigating Braces or Damon Braces – These types of braces are used by more orthodontists in Idaho Falls today since they are known to hold on to fewer food particles than traditional braces and they are less painful than the traditional wire and bracket method. Randall Orthodontics has helped create beautiful smiles with Damon braces, call Randall orthodontics in Idaho Falls today to see if Damon braces are the right fit for you.
You can find additional information about the types of braces available today, here.
Expect Some Discomfort
Since braces are designed to move the teeth and bones in your mouth, there will be some discomfort throughout the process. Getting braces put on won’t hurt while it’s happening but you may experience some soreness and a dull ache in the following days. Additionally, you may develop mild sores inside the mouth; your Idaho Falls orthodontist will give you wax to combat sores that may arise with your new braces. Over-the-counter painkillers and ice can help with the soreness you experience after your first and subsequent fittings.
Your Diet May Change
Along with making sure that your teeth and braces are clean with twice daily flossing and brushing and sometimes even after meals, your diet may need to change to accommodate your new investment. Believe it or not, there are some foods that can actually break your braces! For this reason, the following foods should be avoided or eaten with caution while you have braces on. These include:
- Apples (unless the apple is sliced)
- Popcorn and chips
- Corn on the cob
- Raw carrots
- Hard, sticky or chewy candy
- Hard or crispy cookies and crackers
You Can Get Braces At Any Age
While the optimal age to get braces is during the adolescent stage of an individuals life, this doesn’t mean that there is a cut off date for getting orthodontic treatment. Many orthodontists will recommend that a person gets there first evaluation around the age of seven but there is no age limit for getting braces in Idaho Falls as long as your gums and teeth are in healthy condition. If you’re not sure, discuss your options with Randall Orthodontics by scheduling a free consultation today. As previously mentioned, almost a quarter of Americans who wear braces are adults and since the number of adults is higher than it’s ever been in U.S. history, many orthodontists are more than happy to accommodate adults getting braces. One way orthodontists make the transition for adults so much easier is by offering less noticeable options like invisible trays or clear Damon braces.
No matter your age, orthodontic treatment can help to straighten your teeth and align your bite to help you smile with confidence.
Call Randal Orthodontics today, we use the latest technology to deliver the fastest results and focus on customer satisfaction and the quality of care to ensure that your Idaho Falls orthodontic treatment is a memorable, positive experience.