The Murphy Bed has been around for more than a century. In those 100+ years, they have evolved in many ways and are becoming more commonly used all over the world. If you haven’t yet, it might be time to consider installing one in your home to give yourself an awesome multi-functioning space. This Self Growth article will tell you all about Murphy Beds and why people love them. Then, continue reading below to learn more about some of the amazing Murphy Bed designs that are available.
Popular Murphy Bed Designs
Murphy Bed designs range from storage beds to bunk beds, to powered beds — basically anything you can think of! And they range from twin size all the way up to king size. Here’s a brief look at some of my favorite Murphy Bed designs.
- Desk Bed — A desk bed can give you the ability to turn any space into an office and bedroom in one! With the bed in an upright position, you’ll have a good-sized workspace for your computer and other necessities. Tired of working and need a break? Go ahead and lower your bed. Thanks to a brilliant hinging system, your desk will remain level with the floor so you don’t have to worry about cleaning it off and putting your supplies away. When you have finished that power nap, raise the bed back into the upright position and pick up working right where you left off. Just don’t let your boss find out!
- Revolving Bed — A revolving bed is designed to have a front and backside. On the front, there is a spot that is big enough to hold a large TV — along with other items with various shelving options. Perfect for a movie night! When the show is over, unlock the bookshelf panel, rotate it 180 degrees, and you’ll find a hidden Murphy Bed ready and waiting for you.
- Sofa Murphy Bed — This is a great fit for both hotel chains and residential use. We can pretty much all agree that pull-out beds are not the most comfortable. Yet, they are still used in many hotels. A sofa Murphy Bed is a much better option. Use this bed in your living room or entertainment room without worrying about compromising your seating space. The bed folds down right over the sofa. This combination of sofa and bed will add great appeal to your living space.
- Horizontal Murphy Beds — A slight variation on the typical Murphy Bed design is what you get here. This would be your optimal selection for an area that is short on square footage. The bed won’t come out into the room as far when it is open.
- Bookcase Bed — Everybody has stuff. Most of us have too much stuff. What we need is somewhere to put it. A bookcase bed can offer you a place for some of those things. You’ll have a full bookcase worth of shelving available to store and display all sorts of things. Then you can open up the doors, moving the bookcase sections off to the side, and pull the bed down. Piece of cake!
- Cabinet Bed — Talk about an instant bed. This design can require as little as 10 square feet of floor space. Plus, you can get it complete with folding trays, a rolling storage drawer among other options.
- Bunk Beds — What could be better for a kid’s room than a Murphy Bunk Bed? Give them so much more space to play during the day in addition to a fun sleeping arrangement at night. But that’s not all. These beds are also a great space-saver for places like fire stations, dorm rooms, and cabins. That’s right — bunk beds aren’t just for the kids. You can get them with a guard rail that protects your child from falling out on all three non-wall sides of the bed. The hardwood ladder provides sturdy and easy access to the top bunk. You’ll be loving life when the kids spend time playing in their own room instead of making messes in the family room or somewhere else in the home.
- Free-Standing — This consists of a wall bed system made from steel. You also have hardware that allows the bed to mount to the baseboard. This means there is no need to have the frame secured to the floor. This design is perfect for someone who is renting and cannot do any damage to the walls.
- Power Murphy Beds — Just think, with the push of a button your bed can be immediately raised or lowered! Pretty sweet right. No other Murphy Bed design is as easy to use as this. In this design, a track system drives in or out from the bottom of the bed in a crawling motion. This is another style of bed that can be used with having to be attached to the wall. Your bed can be hidden in plain sight — that is, until you press that button.
- Home Office — More and more people are starting to work from home. With a Murphy Bed home office, you can turn a guest room into your own personal office. This is a perfect way to make the most of your space. Work during the day and then at night it becomes a perfect sleeping situation. You’ll also have plenty of additional options to make it a perfect fit for your needs.
- DIY Murphy Beds — Most Murphy Bed manufacturers offer DIY kits for those of you who like a challenge. Although, with the quality manufacturing and simple instructions that come with these DIY kits, it isn’t as much of a challenge as you might think. When you are finished, you will have a functioning Murphy Bed that features some of your own personal touches.
Murphy Beds have changed with the times for the last 100+ years. Murphy Bed designs have too. These beds were created to save space, but they can also do so much more. It doesn’t matter if you have a small or large home. The addition of a Murphy Bed has a lot to offer in the way of sleeping options, design options, and enjoyment options. And the best part of it all is that you can have them customized to fit exactly what you are looking for. If you are interested in making a change in your home, consider exploring some of the many Murphy Bed designs that are available. You will be grateful that you did!