If you’ve been considering straightening your smile via Invisalign or invisible trays, there are some pros and cons you should weigh before finalizing your decision. But, before you do anything, you’ll want to discuss your orthodontic treatment options with your Idaho Falls orthodontist. Invisalign may not be the most effective treatment to correct your smile or bite. Conversely, it may be the perfect solution for you.
Continue reading to learn more about the advantages and disadvantages of choosing Invisalign to help you make an informed decision.
Correcting Your Smile With Invisalign: The Advantages
Before we begin going over the benefits of using Invisalign, let’s quickly go over what they actually are. First off, the term Invisalign refers to a specific company of invisible trays or clear aligners, but for brevity we will be using Invisalign to describe all types of invisible aligners throughout this article. These trays are a transparent, plastic orthodontic treatment that assist in adjusting teeth, just like braces! Let’s take a look at the benefits of opting for invisible aligners, rather than just traditional metal braces:
- Better Looking – One of the most apparent advantages (and the reason that many people are more inclined to choose clear aligners) is that they are more attractive than traditional metal brackets and even clear ceramic brackets. The transparent plastic of Invisalign makes it so that many people will not even realize you have them on until they are a couple of feet away from you, and even then, they might not notice.
- Removable – Right up with their more aesthetically appealing design, the fact that invisible trays are removable, is a huge selling point. Being able to remove your trays for meals and while brushing and flossing makes it 100X easier to keep your teeth clean than compared to having to maneuver a toothbrush and floss around brackets and wires. Typically, your Idaho Falls orthodontist will recommend that you wear your trays for at least 22 hours a day, taking them out for brushing, flossing, and eating.
- Comfort – While adjusting your teeth and bite will always cause some pressure when you first get braces or invisible aligners (and also at each adjustment appointment), many people consider Invisalign to be much more comfortable than traditional braces. Since the transparent plastic of the trays is smooth, you don’t have to worry about brackets or wires irritating your gums and mouth.
- Fewer Appointments – Another significant benefit of treating your smile with invisible trays is that you can expect far fewer appointments then you would need with traditional braces. When your trays are created, they are all created at once (or most of them). This means that you can swap out your trays according to the appropriate time frame set by your orthodontist in Idaho Falls. While you may still need to see your orthodontist every few months, these appointments are more like follow up appointments to see how your teeth are moving and won’t take as long as traditional “adjustment” appointments.
Correcting Your Smile With Invisalign: The Disadvantages
As you can see, there are many benefits to choosing invisible trays to correct your smile. But, as it usually goes with everything, Invisalign also has its own drawbacks. Some of the cons of invisible trays include:
- Additional Attachments – As stated in this article from PopSugar, you may end up with more attachments than you were expecting/initially told. The attachments, which help to straighten smiles more effectively, make it look more like you have clear braces than invisible aligners. Which if you had wanted a more discreet option, can be pretty annoying.
- Potentially Embarrassing – While being able to remove invisible aligners before you eat and brush your teeth is often seen as an advantage, there may be situations where you have to take your trays off in front of other people. Obviously, there are ways around this, such as removing them in the restroom beforehand or if you know you won’t be gone long, leaving them at home (note*: if left off too long for even a couple days, your treatment may last longer).
- More Expensive – This disadvantage is only half true. Many invisible aligners are comparable to traditional or ceramic braces in terms of cost. However, many insurance companies don’t cover this form of orthodontic treatment, and some don’t cover braces of any kind! So if you are looking into Invisalign as a treatment option, discuss payment options with your Idaho Falls orthodontist. Their office may offer a payment plan or a reduced price for patients without dental insurance.
- Not For Everyone – Unfortunately, invisible trays were not designed to treat all types of smile and bite issues. While every case is different, invisible aligners are designed to handle instances of mild alignment issues, and very rarely are they used for people who require a major dental overhaul. For this reason, it is critical that you discuss your options with a trusted Idaho Falls orthodontist. Many invisible tray sets can be purchased online. Still, if invisible aligners are not the optimal treatment for you, you are just throwing your money away on these treatment issues, or worse, you’ll create more problems.
To see if Invisalign is right for you, please feel free to contact our Idaho Falls orthodontics office, Randall Orthodontics, at your earliest convenience. We offer free consultations that will help us discover and create the perfect orthodontic treatment plan for you.