How is a Sprinkler System Installed?
With Spring in full force, there are flowers to be planted and grass to be watered. Sometimes it is easy to forget just how simple life is when you have a sprinkler system installed. A lot of times you may not see the process of having a sprinkler system installed. You just move to the new house and everything is ready to go. Having a knowledge of how a sprinkler system is installed, will help you identify any problems you might face down the road.
DIY Network has discussed the process of installing sprinklers. This process may vary from company to company but it is a similar process no matter who installs the system. The following steps will be taken to install a sprinkler system:
- Create a Plan-A plan is necessary to avoid any wires or cables underground. It is also important to plan so that you can create a system that will save money and water everything that needs to be watered. These sprinkler systems can be for your lawn, shrubs, or trees. Creating a plan will allow you to have a properly functioning system. This plan should also include measurements for how much pipe you will need and where the sprinkler heads will be located.
- Accessing the Water Line-The sprinkler system will have to tap into an outside faucet or the main water supply. These systems will usually have filters so that the clean drinking water is not contaminated.
- Trenching-After the plan has been created and the water line decided, the next step will be to dig the trench. The trenches can be dug by hand or with the use of a trenching machine. This is when your plan will be followed. You will know where to trench to avoid any mishaps. These trenches are typically 6” to 8” deep.
- Installing the Valve Manifold-A box will have to be placed around the valve manifold. This means that more soil will have to be removed around the manifold’s location. A valve manifold will control the flow of water throughout the lawn and determine which zone will be watered at a given time.
- Lay the PVC Pipe-The PVC pipe will be laid in the trenches and the connectors will be attached. There are different connectors depending on the angle of the trench. For sprinkler heads, you will need a 90-degree PVC accessory. Where the heads need to be attached should be indicated by marking flags. Connecting sections will be glued together to prevent leaks.
- Sprinkler Heads-Sprinkler heads will be installed at the location of each flag. Sprinkler heads will vary in how they release the water. The system should be flushed before attaching the heads in case there is debris located in the pipes. After you have attached the heads, you can level them with the ground and fill in the trenches.
- Installing the Controller-The controller is what makes having a sprinkler system so convenient. The controller will communicate with the system and tell it which zone needs to be watered. It will control the time of day it is operating and the amount of time. The controller will have to be wired according to the manufacturer’s specifications. The system should then be tested. The sprinklers will have to be adjusted so that coverage is complete.
As you can see, there are many steps to installing a sprinkler system. However, going through this process is worth it. There are many benefits that a sprinkler system can provide. If you are looking to simplify your life, then you should have a system installed.
What Are the Benefits of Having a Sprinkler System?
There are many benefits to having a sprinkler system. If you have ever had to drag around the old tractor sprinkler and hose, you will know how hassle-free and convenient a system can be. These systems are low maintenance. At times, there may be a leak or other problems but these are usually few and far in between. The only other times you will have to perform maintenance is in the fall and spring. Two times a year you will have to prepare the system. The first time will be for winter so that you do not damage the sprinkler system.
The other time will be preparing the system to water your lawn. Other than that, you are able to enjoy the carefree benefits of the system. You can set your controller to water your lawn at a certain time and duration. Once the controller is set, all you have to do is sit back and enjoy your lawn, flowers, and trees. Not only can your lawn be on a timer, but you can have a drip system for your flowers, shrubs, and trees. This will allow your plants to grow unimpeded throughout the years. These systems are also beneficial because they will prevent water waste. Without the controller, a sprinkler may be left on a single location because you forgot to turn the water off. With the controller, you will be able to give your lawn the right amount of water without wasting.
Your lawn will also look great with a sprinkler system. You will have complete coverage on your lawn. This will allow your lawn to be aesthetically pleasing. You will be able to enjoy your lawn with family and friends while not having to worry about large dead areas of grass.
Why Should You Hire a Professional?
Hiring a professional to install your sprinkler system should be one of the first things you do after building a house or moving into a house without a system. These professionals have the knowledge and equipment to get the job done properly. If there are problems with the lawn or the system, they will be able to fix those problems. Just the amount of time it would save you to hire a professional is worth hiring one.
These professionals know how to plan for the sprinkler system and connect everything. There are some mechanical parts in the system and electrical parts. The electrical connections for the professionals are quick and do not take a lot of time. Wiring for the layperson can be a problem if they have never been around wiring before. Sometimes it can be dangerous to wire these systems if you do not understand electrical currents.
A professional will also adjust your system after it is installed. This can be frustrating and take a lot of time to turn on all the sprinklers and adjust their coverage. These are all things that will be taken care of when you hire a professional. You pay a little money and get a lot in return. If you have questions or want to have a sprinkler system installed, contact YardTech today.